Glossary of Plumbing Terms

Power Flush System
The power flush system compresses water to provide a pressurize flush. This type of system is usually found in business and commercial buildings.

PRV or Pressure Reducing Valve
PRV, or pressure reducing valve, is a special valve that is installed directly on the main water line. The PRV constrains the amount of water entering from the water company’s supply line to normalize water pressure for home use.

PVC pipes are sturdy plastic pipes that are used for drainage, waste and vent systems.

Rim Holes
Rim holes are a series of small holes around the toilet bowl. Water flowing from the rim holes washes over the surface of the bowl to refill the toilet bowl.

Saddle Valve

A saddle valve is a mounted pipe run by a clamping device. A saddle valve is used to make quick connections between low-demand devices.

Septic Tank
A septic tank is a small sewage treatment system for homes with no connection to local sewage lines. Septic refers to the bacteria that decomposes the waste inside the tank.

Straight Stop Valve
A straight stop valve is a straight shutoff valve used to close off the water supply during repairs.

Sump Pump
A sump pump is used in basements that often flood. The sump pump sits in a pit that accumulates the water where it pumps the water outside the home.

Supply Line
A supply line is a metal or plastic line that carries water directly from the main line into a plumbing fixture.

T&P Valve or Temperature and Pressure Valve
The temperate and pressure relief valve is used to safely release excess heat or pressure in a water tank.

A tailpiece is a pipe that runs between a fixture and a trap.

The trap is a curved section of drain line that prevents sewer odor from entering a home or other building. All plumbing fixtures have a “P” trap, except for a toilet that has an “S” trap.

A trapway connects the toilet bowl to a waste outlet. The size of the trapway, also known as the passageway, influences clogging.

Trip Lever
A trip lever is the flush handle and actuating arm on a toilet tank. The trip lever is attached to the flapper, which results in the toilet flushing. The trip lever can also refer to the drain in a tub.

A vent is a pipe that allows air into the drain system.

Vent Stack
A vent stack, also known as a stink pipe, releases gas and odors outside the home or other building.

Water Hammer
The water hammer is a loud noise and vibration associated with pipes being turned on or off. Water hammer is caused by a sudden surge, or halt, of water in the pipes.

If you found this glossary to be helpful,
please link to this page.


Plumbing Clogs - What You Must Know


Pacific-Coast Property Services